The Globe and Mail: “Russia’s largest steel maker touched off what is expected to be a bidding war for Stelco Inc. yesterday as the wave of consolidation that is reshaping the world’s steel industry began washing over Canada.
OAO Severstal, controlled by Russian tycoon Alexei Mordashov, launched a bid of considerably more than $500-million for all of Stelco, which has been operating under creditor protection since January, but generated record profit in the third quarter.
The Severstal bid came as Stelco was scheduled to examine a proposal from Deutsche Bank AG that appeared set to give the German bank control of the insolvent steel maker.”
Search this Blog
- Ottawa’s manufacturing fund a mirage
- High school co-op student dies at work placement
- U.S. Steel Canada files for creditor protection
- Canada manufacturing growth index at 4-month low in December – Yahoo Finance Canada
- 2 Ontario firms allege Chinese steel sinks violate trade rules, probes launched – Yahoo! Canada Finance