Yahoo! News: “The industrial base where China’s third-largest steel-maker is based, in Beijing’s western suburbs, is the capital’s worst polluter, with chimneys belching out thick clouds of smoke.
‘We should not take care of the interests of some heavy polluters at the expense of the overall health of more than 10 million people living in Beijing,’ said Wang Jirong, vice-director of the State Environmental Protection Administration.
‘Shougang must be moved out of Beijing. The sooner the better,’ he was cited as saying by the Xinhua news agency, as he viewed the factory’s boilers with vice-mayor Ji Lin.
However, moving the company, also known as Capital Iron and Steel and once the pride of communist China, is easier said than done. “
Search this Blog
- Ottawa’s manufacturing fund a mirage
- High school co-op student dies at work placement
- U.S. Steel Canada files for creditor protection
- Canada manufacturing growth index at 4-month low in December – Yahoo Finance Canada
- 2 Ontario firms allege Chinese steel sinks violate trade rules, probes launched – Yahoo! Canada Finance