Yahoo!: Kobe Steel Ltd plans to boost sales of ironmaking facilities that do not use blast furnaces in order to offer a less expensive way to make the steelmaking material.
Kobe Steel’s facility subjects iron ore powder to natural gas under high temperature to eliminate oxygen from the iron ore in what is called direct reduction ironmaking. The high-purity iron that results is then put into an electric furnace together with iron scrap to make crude steel.
Kobe Steel has been selling the equipment through North Carolina-based Midrex Technologies Inc, which it took over in 1983, the report said.
Search this Blog
- Ottawa’s manufacturing fund a mirage
- High school co-op student dies at work placement
- U.S. Steel Canada files for creditor protection
- Canada manufacturing growth index at 4-month low in December – Yahoo Finance Canada
- 2 Ontario firms allege Chinese steel sinks violate trade rules, probes launched – Yahoo! Canada Finance