FRANKFURT (AFX) – Volkswagen AG may buy steel in China in response to surging raw material prices, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung said in a report to be published tomorrow, citing Franciso Javier Garcia Sanz, management board member in charge of purchasing for VW.
‘We are seriously thinking about getting steel from China,’ Garcia Sanz said, adding the company is already in talks with Chinese steelmakers.
As part of the company’s ForMotion cost-cutting programme, Garcia Sanz hopes to cut production costs by 1 bln eur this year and by an additional triple-digit mln eur amount next year.
Volkswagen may also form a ‘steelpool’, meaning it will purchase steel for its suppliers, thereby raising order volumes and cutting costs, he said.
Search this Blog
- Ottawa’s manufacturing fund a mirage
- High school co-op student dies at work placement
- U.S. Steel Canada files for creditor protection
- Canada manufacturing growth index at 4-month low in December – Yahoo Finance Canada
- 2 Ontario firms allege Chinese steel sinks violate trade rules, probes launched – Yahoo! Canada Finance